The Top 1% of App Developers Dominate

0
12

App publishers within the top one percent made up 80 percent of the downloads from consumers. The remaining 6 billion app downloads came from the hundred of thousands of developers making up the remaining 99%.

To give a sense of actual numbers, there are 7,920 publishers in this top 1% with apps being downloaded over 30 billion times. This leaves little space for new publishers to emerge. Even in our smartphone-centric age, the same apps, and the same developers are being downloaded and used in large amounts of time. A gap this huge could also point to poor app hosting from the smartphone companies.

Money Matters

This top 1% of developers brought in more than $20.5 billion, leaving the other 99% to split the additional $1.5 billion of ap download revenue. This is not a surprise to those following the statistics in recent years. Gaming ap revenue is up, but does not come near to advertising revenue from apps.

Downloads vary from in-app purchase revenue, which better ranks popularity. While the margins are small for those outside the 1% of top app developers, they seem even smaller in gauging most used mobile applications.

What Apps Are Most-Used?

The top ten list for the most-used app on mobile devices boil down to being owned by only three companies. Facebook, Google, and Apple account for the 10 most used applications. This is fueled by the upward trend of time spent on smart devices.

All three are incorporating different methods to dominate the app industry and capitalize on their viral apps, while they monitor user activity to increase profitability.

Facebook has three apps within the top ten. The highest ranking is Facebook at the number one spot, then Messenger in 3rd and Instagram at 8th. Facebook is naturally showcased at top, making a large profit thanks to the advertising they offer businesses on the platform. Also note that Instagram and Messenger are the fastest growing aps from the list.

Google has 5 apps that rank in the top ten. There is Google Search, Google Play, Google maps, and Gmail. Google’s Youtube is ranked number 2. While the rate of use of google apps are high, their user rate is not increasing like Facebook and Amazon.

The Role App Stores Play

App stores are feeling tension from these rankings. Apple was sued this year because of claims on their App Store being a monopoly. The claims were made by two iOS developers who associate favoritism and rival barring with the communications giant.

Competition is stifled, according to the developers, since all the apps are only available to Apple phone consumers. The aps from emerging developers get lost in the big giants.

Another claim is aimed at the standard for price points for aps. All paid apps must have a cost ending in $.99, and cannot be lower than that amount. If ap developers could sell below $.99 then more sales could be incurred. An anti-trust lawsuit is being established against the company about their app-distribution system.

Apple understands the restrictions they’ve placed on competing developers. Apple certainly does not have to change this to be successful, and many consumers do not see this as a problem. More than ever, people are using their phones for everything and apps catering to each lifestyle exist.

The largest apps, as said, are dominating the most used and most downloadable categories. It does not seem a productive train of thought that the ap hosting companies are causing this, given the 1% is not wavering across Apple or Android.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here