Living from paycheck-to-paycheck is something to be thankful for in this economy because it means that you have enough money to spend on your necessities. However, it can really increase the anxiety you feel during emergencies when you have to pay for expenses that aren’t on the budget.
If you’re nodding your head in agreement right now, you may need to look for a side hustle to earn money in addition to your monthly salary. There are lots of options right now, especially with the gig economy, where people can temporarily hire your services for a specified time. It’s a freelancing setup, so you get to choose your schedule and do the work during your spare time without giving up the stability of having a 9-to-5 job.
Here are the top side jobs that can help you earn more money:
- Rideshare or Delivery Driver
If you have a car, you can make money off of it by freelancing as a rideshare or delivery driver. There are various apps that enable you to drive others to their destinations when your schedule permits it. The best part about this is that the platforms take a minimal cut and you get to bring home a substantial portion of the fare, which is rewarding even with the additional gas and maintenance costs.
As a delivery driver, you’ll be picking up the customer’s order from the restaurant or retail store, and bringing the items right on their doorstep. Aside from the commission you get for every completed task, there’s also the possibility of getting tipped for your services.
- Survey Participant
Another freelancing gig is filling online surveys for extra income. Some companies pay you to give them honest feedback on products and services. Not only will you be helping brands improve their merchandise, but you’ll also be sending additional cash into your weekly or monthly budget with ease.
- Virtual Assistant
A virtual assistant (VA) is someone who provides various professional services to businesses remotely. You can help entrepreneurs accomplish their goals through outsourced projects, which you do on their behalf. These business owners save money from the recruitment and training costs of hiring a new employee and deploying them into their physical office.
As a VA, you may be assigned to schedule the meetings and appointments of your boss, answer phone calls, do data entry, organize their calendars, and book travel arrangements. In other times, you may also need to create budgets for their business, make purchases, and track expenses to aid their accounting department.
These are the type of tools that you should be proficient in using if you plan to apply as a VA:
- Google Apps – Let’s face it: Google is dominating the online world today. You can do almost everything on the platform, so it pays to know how to navigate your way through the system and use their tools. They have an app for professional emails, shared calendars, online storage, and video meetings, which allow you to collaborate with others in your team with ease.
- Cloud Storage Software – With this tool, you can easily back up your client’s files and access them on any device safely. It’s also ideal for collaboration because you don’t have to keep sending a document back and forth for revisions with your boss or other employees.
- Customer Relations Management (CRM) System – This software uses data analysis to monitor a business’ relationship with its clients. It’s specially developed to boost customer retention, which is a driving factor in sales growth.
- Automated Schedulers – Automated schedulers are a lifesaver for virtual assistants because you can schedule almost anything and be assured that they get sent to the customer at the best time. This tool is particularly valuable for those handling their boss’ appointments and social media postings.
- English Tutor
A lot of people around the world want to learn English. If you wish to save up for your travel fund or put money into your retirement plan, you can capitalize on this need by providing your services to students. You can find companies online who are looking for English natives and apply there. They’ll be the one to assign you a student according to your preferred schedule.
These are just a few top side jobs that can earn you extra income to add to your monthly salary. With this, you can channel money into your savings to prepare for the rainy days. A primary advantage of being a freelancer is that you can do the work during your spare time without having to quit your stable 9-to-5 job.